The piano is a wonderful instrument in which to hone your skills that you may be a huge blessing to your church. If you are working at learning the piano, register for the piano competition. Be sure and choose your piece within the guidelines stated below and within your abilities, but also, make sure and challenge yourself. You will find the experience very rewarding!
- Pianists will perform a piece that is not to exceed 5 minutes in performance time. For the Varsity competition, this piece must be memorized. However, Jr. Varsity contestants do not need to have their pieces memorized.
- All pieces should be sacred or patriotic. Contemporary Christian music, “Christian” rock, jazz, country, or any music with elements of the above will be disqualified.
- Original arrangements will be accepted if written out and performed as written.
- You may not perform the same selection in two consecutive years.
- Three copies of the music must be provided for the judges with measures numbered, beginning with the first full measure. The director or student must submit these to the judges at performance time.
- No extreme or unnecessary body movement or choreography will be permitted.